Day 5- Working Title

Day 5 of my hospital stay and I’m still here, toughing it out. I’ve spent most of the week quite high. With the help of friends I've come up with numerous titles for my book and a rather innovative way to raise money using a giraffe but am now balanced on that knife edge some of you will know so well.


I’m tired and feel ‘flat’ but I’ve no idea what happens next. The previous pattern dictates I will fall into a deep depressive slump some day soon but I am ever-hopeful that the slight tweak in medication I’ve had so far will prevent that this time.

The days here are so long, weekends here are particularly long; nothing exciting happens during the week but it seems nothing at all happens at weekends, even the usual daily routines are more fluid and relaxed- even if the patients aren’t.

I’m free to come and go (in between medication times) so I have been out most days, either for a walk in the grounds with visitors or for cups of tea in nearby supermarket cafes. I went home yesterday to spend some time with my family. All of these normal things leave me exhausted and quite glad to get back to my hospital bed for a bit of respite.

I’m lucky to have had lots of visitors and lots of messages of support via Twitter and my blog. This has all kept me going which is just as well as my lovely friend decided to bugger off to Cornwall for three weeks the Thursday before I was admitted!

I believe before she went she issued instructions to all my other friends and last night on the phone to her there was talk of a ‘Zoë’s support network party’ when I am better so all my lovely friends can meet in person as opposed to communicating via text with each other, about me. That’s something to look forward to.